Monday, December 22, 2008

Sleep


Cliff just taught me how to make a blog post (step 1: turn on the computer) and I thought I'd write about what I was thinking about, which is sleep. Our roommate, Marie, works at this organic soap company through which she gets magazines. One magazine, called Utne, had a bunch of articles about how the modern consumer culture looks down on rest and people feel compelled to work work work to be more productive, but really what we are producing is poorer quality because we're not giving ourselves enough rest to feel refreshed enough to think more creatively.

And I started thinking about what Cliff and I have been doing the past year, which is basically working our jobs as little as possible, to allow ample time for doing music. But, it's not like we spend every free minute writing songs or booking shows. Not including when we're on the road, I've been getting a good 8 hours of sleep a night, which is unheard of in America these days. And now that I'm thinking about it, this is the first time in years that I've really felt refreshed and mentally alert. And physically it's awesome too. Cliff has a bit of a cold today, but I don't think he's really been sick this whole year. We spend a ton of time doing birdlips, but we make sure we get enough rest so that we are invigorated and excited about it. So, go take a nap, don't feel bad about "wasted time", wake up and do something awesome.


~LP


No comments:

Post a Comment